The Who
Gå till sida 1, 2  Nästa

Skapa nytt ämne   Svara på ämnet    Forumindex -> Andra grupper
Föregående ämne :: Nästa ämne  
Författare Meddelande
Dada

Registreringsdatum: 05 juni 2006

InläggPostat: tis jun 06, 2006 18:04    Rubrik: The Who Svara med citat

Tänkte att det säkert finns någon mer än jag som gillar detta eminenta band här på forumet.
Jag har på ett annat forum samlat en hel del nyheter om vad som är på G med Who under året.

Så håll i er.. för detta blir mycket:

januari:
"The Who are considering setting up a GRATEFUL DEAD style recording/filming area at their concerts so that higher audio and visual quality can be assured.
At the moment clever clogs booters snitch Roger's vocal via his radio mike feed, and I have to say it sounds horrible and compromises the balance of the overall stage sound.
Every time Roger sings a line, the band sound disappears for a moment. It would be better to have a compressed, equalized feed of the kind that the audience hear rather than whatever happens to be pumped into Roger's earpiece.

More news on all this soon. Exciting huh? You've seen NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Februari:
On the Blog I use to publish The Boy Who Heard Music there are rumours that the Who tour scheduled for 2006 will not happen. I posted this announcement. It is true as of today, but obviously life has a way of throwing curved balls.

"There will be a tour. We already have European Festival dates slotted in June and July. (These are our first Festivals since Cincinatti, a mark of respect to the fans who died at our concert there in December 1979. That long time ban of ours on playing 'festival' seating, with very few exceptions, was finally broken at Live Aid 1985, and Live 8 and Yokohama Japan now showing on TowserTV in 2004).

The American part of the tour, probably in three - or even four - legs, happens from September to December. We go on to the rest of the world in 2007. There will be a new CD sometime in the early summer. I know I've cried wolf a few times, but this time I have committed because I have about enough music for a new CD, and I'm still producing.

Mars:
18 March 2006
Recording The Who's Mini-Opera

Back to Diary Dates

The weekend. I’ve managed to get a little ahead of schedule on recording so I get a chance to post an update on how the sessions are going.

Sometime around the middle of January I had to make a firm decision whether to commit to European shows that would begin in June. I had about twelve tracks that I would have been happy to release – if I’d been working on a solo album. But more than half the songs were intense, slow tempo and very mature in tone. Roger had already ‘passed’ on In the Ether, suggesting I sing it myself or reserve it for a solo record. Bill Curbishley, the Who’s manager, told me that I needed to make a decision quickly. My stance was that I would not tour again with the Who without new music.

For four months I had been posting on the internet the free serialization of my story The Boy Who Heard Music. I called the piece a ‘Novella’. This was an inspiring and affirming period for me. It concentrated my mind on what was after all my central focus, and had been since 2001, the creation of a series of songs that would provide the backbone for some kind of large theatrical music event. However, Roger had seen an early script of my story, and declined an involvement in it. So the principle focus of my creative output seemed closed to me when it came to writing music for the Who album. I managed a few songs that stood alone, but even those seemed to have sprung from whatever was going on in my heart as I worked on TBWHM.

On January 10th I had a sudden flash. Nick Goderson who is the manager of Eel Pie, has been ill with cancer for quite some time, and is often on my mind. I remembered that he had once suggested I turn TBWHM into a ‘Mini-Opera’ rather than a Magnum-Opus. This was what I needed. With the story fresh in my mind, and with hundreds of useful comments from those who had responded as I had published the chapters one by one, I was able to quickly scratch out a lyrical synopsis of The Boy Who Heard Music. This comprised seven or eight short lyric-poems. I took into account none of the depth, background or complexity of the story. In a way, I deliberately skipped over what I had explored and elaborated in my Novella, and just grabbed at whatever came into my mind as I sat with pen and paper. I had the benefit of my notes from the Lifehouse script and lyric-guides from as far back as1971, one of which – Sound Round – I used to start the collection. I also used some of the lyrics I had written especially for the Novella. Quickly I found I had enough coherent lyrics to comprise a short song-cycle or ‘Mini-Opera’. I did a couple of quick demos and by January 17th knew I had about 30 minutes of music that would create a vigorous backbone for the Who album, but allow me to continue to draw on the bloodline of The Boy Who Heard Music.

On this basis I committed to the tour and everything else has happened too quickly to contemplate. I completed ten songs, two of which were full length and quite complex, the rest shorter, punchier or simple and ballad-like. I played all the parts myself, as is my habit while I’m composing. I moved into Oceanic, my large studio, and began work with other musicians on February 28th, three days after the last posting of the Novella on the internet.

I decided I would like to release a record prior to the European shows, even if only on the internet. However, Polydor has agreed in principle to release something plastic prior to the main album. So I am completing six songs (as excerpts from the Mini-Opera) for delivery at the end of this month, that will facilitate a June release of what we are now calling a ‘Maxi-single’. It’s an EP really. It will run about 11 minutes.

I’ve used Pino on bass, and he’s playing with terrific energy. Rabbit has played some old-school Hammond. My brother Simon and Billy Nicholls have assisted me with backing vocals. The drums are played brilliantly by Rachel Fuller’s drummer Peter Huntington (Zak Starkey our usual drummer is still in South America with Oasis). Roger starts putting down his vocals on Monday.

I am producing the recordings with help from engineers Bob Pridden and Myles Clarke.
The Mini-Opera is entitled The Glass Household.

April:
Roger and I have completed the condensed eleven minute Mini Opera, played it to the folks at Polydor, and are all set to release - probably as a limited edition - in June, prior to the release of a conventional CD in September.

Maj:
WIRE & GLASS is the new title for the short version of the new Who MiniOpera. The mastering was completed this afternoon by Jon Astley and my chief engineer Myles Clarke, and delivery to Polydor will take place shortly.
We are probably going to use a Ross Halfin photo for the CD jacket - keep it simple.
My daughter Minta, who works in the film industry, is leading the hunt for a video director.

This new release is the first truly creative piece from the Who for nearly 25 years and I don't want to muddle anything. This is good music. There is a story behind the music, but it doesn't matter much at this point.

I am working hard to make sure we deliver what I most want to see for the Who on tour, which is regular Live webcast elements of our performances, and occasional complete Live shows.

The Who begin rehearsing in two weeks, during which time I have to finish the rest of the Who album with Roger - so again, I'm trying to keep the music simple and direct. Our new stage set will allow us to do some new things, and to help tell some stories as yet untold.

We are still on track for release of the Mini-Opera in mid-June, the complete album in mid-September.

Progress Report

Yeah, we have some progress. I've been working almost constantly in my home studio writing music, or at Oceanic Studios helping Myles Clarke, Billy Nicholls and Bob Pridden complete tracks for the Who album planned for release in September. The condensed Mini Opera is now with Polydor for release in June, and we are batting sleeve ideas around. We were hoping to do some kind of video - Sam Mendes was mentioned to direct - but as exciting as that prospect is, I'm not sure we have time now. My daughter Minta is helping out by tracking down video directors and interfacing between The Who's management, Polydor and Roger and me.

We start rehearsals in a week from now, by which time Roger must complete six vocals on tracks I've prepared. He called me yesterday very positive about three new songs I just sent him. He has been working very hard on a number of charity projects he committed to before we arranged the tour - it has meant we have had to grab at time to record wherever we can.

There is only one familiar name one might notice is missing here - Universal Records. We do not yet have a U.S. deal settled, and that is not for lack of love or drive on either side. It just hasn't happened yet. I am keen that the Mini-Opera (Wire & Glass) is released in the U.S and Canada at the same time as the rest of the world, but as things stand, it doesn't look likely.

Plans for the tour structure look good. Creatively speaking we have more ideas than in recent years, this being our first proper World Tour ever, we have the resources to be a little more ambitious than in the recent past. However, time is against us, certainly it seems to be against me. When I started preparing tracks in December of 2005 I was picking up work I'd had to drop at roughly the same time a year before in late 2004 when Zak went off to tour with Oasis. Even so I felt I had plenty of time. But it sluices away.

Even so, today I am certain of one thing: the Who have a new record in the can - almost finished, and it will be a good one.

UPDATES:
My Work Is Done - Almost.......

In order to have an album released in September of this year I need to deliver my completed production by the end of June.

My part as a musician on the Who album is now complete. I have recorded twenty three tracks and selected and finished my part in seventeen, of which eleven are ready to release. The remaining six tracks only require vocals from Roger (or a vocal test to see whether he should replace my existing voacls) this week, and by Friday everything will be ready for me to mix in the first gap in the UK tour between Leeds and Brighton on the weekend of 17th/18th June and our return to play the Leeds O2 festival on 25th June. Originally I left this gap so I could give my son some support in his first big exams, and I will do that as well. But it is fortuitous I have this time.

The tracks line up like this: the complete Mini-Opera based on The Boy Who Heard Music consists of ten tracks (of which six are previewed on Wire & Glass the Maxi-Single to be released in June/July). The seven other tracks represent an even mixture of straight acoustic and conventional rock band tracks. As I've said before, this has been recorded as simply as possible, starting in my home studio on analogue tape, 8 tracks only, and moving on to my pro studios only for the final computer round up. It's an exciting sound to my ears. Not old-fashioned at all.

I will deliver finished masters to Polydor on June 28th.

Still not sure what to call it.

UPDATES:
Today we finished recording. Roger was doing vocals with Billy Nicholls and Bob Pridden at Eel Pie Oceanic Studios; Rachel and me were at my home studio recording a string quartet on Trilby's Piano one of the pieces for the extended Mini-Opera,

I will complete the mixing in a week or two. It's a great feeling to be finished. I might have a few very small things to do when I come to mix, but 99% is done.

I hope everything fits together once it's mixed - compiling an album is a tricky time. Sometimes tracks that have felt critical to the album have to be left out simply because they don't feel quite right in context, or because they seem too proud, too rough, too plain, too subdued or too different.

Roger said recently in an interview that he only likes to work on songs I've written that have 'edge'. And yet sometimes to make a collection of songs flow properly, you might need a track with no edge at all, a track with no character, no particular mood, a track that exists purely to set up the tracks that follow.

Recording strings today was really enjoyable.
I had knocked up a string orchestration on the Sibelius computer programme for my song Trilby's Piano and scored it for about 35 strings. Rachel re-arranged it for a string quartet, with some overdubs, and today we recorded it with a single stereo ribbon mike in my home studio, with the smallest dogs running in and out. Rachel is pretty classy at this kind of thing and really made it all seem very transparent. Brian Beaver of In The Attic fame shot some video that Rachel may use in the next show.

UPDATES:
The Who are set to join the hoards of bootleggers at gigs by recording all of the shows on their upcoming world tour.

Writing on his official website Pete Townshend revealed the idea adding that the recording will be turned into CDs and DVDs with all the money raised from sales going to charity.

Townshend said: “Every show we play is bootlegged by someone. With Roger's Ok already given I intend to bootleg Who shows myself and give the proceeds to charity.”

“In addition we will webcast a live stream of 30 minutes featuring at least one live number by the Who from every show for 99c. Proceeds to local health, childrens' and street charities.”

He added that every few weeks on the tour they will webcast an entire show with proceeds going to a major charity.

Talking about the reasons behind the project he added: “Why are we doing this? BECAUSE WE FUCKING WELL CAN. Will it make us look good? WE DON'T GIVE A Fubble. (I can still be rather crude in my old age, you will probably have noticed).”

UPDATES: NEW OFFICIAL WHO SITE

Since I started these websites in 1999 I have run a 'microsite' for The Who.
This will be shut down in the coming weeks prior to the first show of the tour and a brand new site will be initiated that will act as the portal for the Who webcasting I plan.
The new Who site will hopefully be used more by Roger Daltrey as it will be based at the Central London offices of our management company Trinifold. - Pete

UPDATES:
Pete on "In The Attic" today played "Here For More"
saying that was an example of the rarities they'd be
digging out for this tour. He implied they'd have a
"playbook" of many Who rarities that they'd circulate
through for the shows.

http://rapidshare.de/files/21837179/Pete_Townshend_-_2006.05.30__WhoTV_ITA___Here_For_More__Video.asf.html

PS. Kan tillägga att here for more är en låt som bara dök upp som b-sida på en singel och har aldrig spelats live innan.

Juni:
Rehersals inför turnén har startat!!!!

BILD OCH VIDEO FINNS HÄR:

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=290&zone=diary

Forsaking the sunshine for the rehearsal space, Pete lead the band through some familiar favourites today as well as some soon-to-be new favourites and it has to be said they sounded lean, mean and rather fantastic.

With the tour fast approaching there's some fine tuning being applied to the new material but it's all taking great shape and, worry not, they're still PLENTY loud! Some pictures now and a new Quicktime movie to whet your appetites.

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=294&zone=pr
Till överst på sidan
Användarens profil Skicka personligt meddelande
Today Mueller
Forumboss

InläggPostat: lör jun 10, 2006 22:17    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Who är ett band som växer mer och mer ju mer man lyssnar på dem... Det jag gillar bäst med bandet är medlemmarnas personliga spelstilar, men att de ändå passar så pass bra ihop!
Det här bandet har dessutom, som allas vår Coop, släppt ifrån sig bra material från alla perioder i karriären. Cheer
ElScorchio
Pretty Ballerina

Registreringsdatum: 11 juni 2006

InläggPostat: mån jun 19, 2006 17:49    Rubrik: Svara med citat

the who är ett riktigt kanonband.. en av dom absoluta favoriterna:)
Lidaz
Desperado

InläggPostat: mån jun 19, 2006 23:12    Rubrik: Svara med citat

ja, Who är riktigt bra!
Även om jag har svårt att sätta mig ner för att "lyssna på who"
Men att slänga in Jims samling i playlisten och shuffla funkar utmärkt!

Townshend var först med att vara cool Cool
En av de första gitarristerna med riktigt bra driv i spelet!
Dada

InläggPostat: tis jun 20, 2006 4:22    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Till överst på sidan
Picaro Ecole
Desperado

Registreringsdatum: 10 juni 2006

InläggPostat: ons jun 28, 2006 23:23    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Såg en dokumentär på Tv för ett tag sedan. Väldigt intressant faktiskt.
That was sixty times my size
Till överst på sidan
Användarens profil Skicka personligt meddelande Skicka e-post Besök användarens hemsida MSN Messenger
Dada

InläggPostat: ons jun 28, 2006 23:29    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Shocked Vad var det för en dokumentär?
Till överst på sidan
Lidaz
Desperado

InläggPostat: tor jun 29, 2006 12:35    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Hoppas vi får höra lite om Berlin? Wink
Today Mueller
Forumboss

InläggPostat: tor jun 29, 2006 13:54    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Lidaz skrev:
Hoppas vi får höra lite om Berlin? Wink

Risken för det är nog överhängande fet... Wink
SNAKE
Desperado

Registreringsdatum: 19 juni 2006

InläggPostat: tor jun 29, 2006 14:46    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Fick tag på en DvD med inslag från 3 konserter 89 och 93 med bla. en version av Wont Get Fooled Again - med endast Townsend på acu.gtr och
Roger lead vox - fy sa Real mad an vilken tagning ! vilken feeling !!!
Där växte WHO med ett par pinnhål hos mig Very Happy
Dada

InläggPostat: tor jun 29, 2006 15:23    Rubrik: Svara med citat

SNAKE skrev:
Fick tag på en DvD med inslag från 3 konserter 89 och 93 med bla. en version av Wont Get Fooled Again - med endast Townsend på acu.gtr och
Roger lead vox - fy sa Real mad an vilken tagning ! vilken feeling !!!
Där växte WHO med ett par pinnhål hos mig Very Happy

Oj oj oj.. du ska höra en del av de livetagningar som finns. Då hade nog Who växt ytterligare Wink

Young man blues från Young Vic Theatre 1971... WOW säger jag bara.

men 1993 säger du? Who gjorde inga gig då. Jag tror du menar 1996.
Dvdn Tommy & Quadrophenia live.

Grymma gig båda två. Very Happy
Till överst på sidan
SNAKE
Desperado

Registreringsdatum: 19 juni 2006

InläggPostat: tor jun 29, 2006 15:31    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Japp det rimmar bättre på 96 - de är lite mer tunnhåriga.
Dock inköpte jag en trave med ca 30 dvds i KINA a 7,- sek /stk och där finns en del stavfel och datum fel på trycken - men konserterna är kanon som sagt va ! (nästan lika bra som Elvis comeback 6Cool Cool
Dada

InläggPostat: tor jun 29, 2006 15:39    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Glöm inte att Who´s nya EP släpps i mitten på Juli.

Här kommer ett smakprov på en ny låt som de har lirat live:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UYMA6UXM
Till överst på sidan
Lidaz
Desperado

InläggPostat: tor jun 29, 2006 15:43    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Jim: Hur är Houston 75 i jämförelse med det andra som finns? Cool
Måste ta en titt på den en dag när det är dåligt väder
Dada

InläggPostat: tor jun 29, 2006 15:45    Rubrik: Svara med citat

Houston 75 är bland det grymamste jag sett i Who väg.. Setlisten är underbar med en sällan spelad "However much I booze".

Substitute,
I Can't Explain,
Squeezebox,
Baba O'Riley,
Boris The Spider,
Drowned,
However Much I Booze,
Dreaming From The Waist,
Behind Blue Eyes,
Amazing Journey,
Sparks,
The Acid Queen,
Fiddle About,
Pinball Wizard,
I'm Free,
Tommy's Holiday Camp,
We're Not Gonna Take It,
Summertime Blues,
My Generation,
Join Together,
Naked Eye,
Roadrunner,
Won't Get Fooled Again,
Magic Bus,
My Generation Blues

Allting live med Who från 1968-76 är i stort sätt bättre än det mesta från den tiden med andra band.
Till överst på sidan
Visa inlägg nyare än:   
Skapa nytt ämne   Svara på ämnet    Forumindex -> Andra grupper Alla tider är GMT + 2 timmar (svensk sommartid)
Gå till sida 1, 2  Nästa
Sida 1 av 2

Hoppa till:  
Du kan inte skapa nya inlägg i det här forumet
Du kan inte svara på inlägg i det här forumet
Du kan inte ändra dina inlägg i det här forumet
Du kan inte ta bort dina inlägg i det här forumet
Du kan inte rösta i det här forumet

Original World of Warcraft™ Horde forum design by boo, 2004 - ez-life.net
World of Warcraft™ is a trademark and Blizzard Entertainment is a trademark or
registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries.